Thompson Chapel United Primitive Baptist Church was organized by the late Elder Ernest Poster on November 8, 1918 where he pastored for four years.
In the year of 1922 Elder Samuel D McMeen of Columbia, TN. was elected. Receiving his education in St. Louis, MO. and graduating from IDA Bible College. Elder McMeen accepted the call of Pastor and served this small ban of Christians. Of these, organized members were: Dec. Martin McGraw, Dec. Clarence Foster, Mo. Cora Thomas, Bro. M. DeMoss, and Sis. Mattie DeMoss, Sis. Evelina Apogue and Mrs. Sallie Smith, of which all are deceased.
In 1940, Thompson Chapel was consolidated with thirteen members of Hopewell UPB Church thus forming the name Thompson Hopewell UPB Church. The worship location at that time was 2535 W. Fulton St. Under Elder McMeen’s leadership in 1955, the church moved to its current location (3313 W. Douglas Blvd.). Elder McMeen served faithfully for 33 years until his death January 12, 1956
In May of 1956 Elder James T. Alexander was elected to serve as Pastor. Elder Alexander served faithfully from 1956 to 1966.
In 1966 Elder A.J. Rawls was elected to serve as Pastor until March 1974. In that same year Elder J. Walls was elected and served for one year.
On the 2nd Sunday in February 1976 the Body elected Elder Leroy Bridgeforth as Pastor. Elder Bridgeforth served as a faithful Pastor for 35 years until his death on Friday August 26, 2011. Elder Bridgeforth also served as a Deacon for 20 years and Superintendent of the Sunday school. He did a splendid job and will be missed by all.
In 2011, Elder Gerald Buckley served as Interim Pastor for one year after the passing of Elder Bridgeforth.
On the 2nd Saturday in June 2013, upon the recommendation of the Body, Elder Torrence T. Ivy Sr. was installed as Pastor. The Instillation Service was facilitated by Moderator Ronnie J. Russell along with Elder Carl Blackmon, Elder Gary Patterson, Bishop D.W. Patton, Elder Lonney Davis and Elder William Phillips all serving as the Presbyterian.
Thompson Hopewell United Primitive Baptist Church was one of the 33 Churches of the Big Harpeth United Primitive Baptist Association which was set up in Franklin, Tennessee in 1866. In 2016 the Body voted to terminate our Associational Fellowship and become an Independent Church.
In 2014 adhering to the Holy Ghost through our Leader we remodeled our Sanctuary, Kitchen and Women’s and Men’s Restrooms. God blessed us with a Game Room and Computer Lab for our youth. In this same year the Lord birthed a Vision through our Pastor to erect the “Leroy Bridgeforth Life Center” a multi-purpose facility to serve as a safe haven for at risk youth of our Community and connect them to resources that empower them to better themselves and family through biblical principles.
In February 2016, the church was blessed to have a website which was constructed by one of its own members.
In August 2017, TV Monitors along with Cameras were installed and Media Booth constructed in preparation for the Live Streaming of our services which began in October of that same year.
November 28, 2017 Thompson Hopewell closed on the purchase of the adjacent lots in order that we might pave for parishioner parking.
February 2018 marked another milestone. We were able to remodel our fellowship hall adding television monitors for our overflow services.
This year we celebrate 101 years of service on November 29th and December 1st.
We give thanks to God, for grace has brought us thus far and grace will lead us on!